Maryville, Alcoa and Knoxville TN
The vast majority of Americans will experience tooth decay at some point in their lives. Whenever you develop a cavity, your Maryville dentist at Cedar Street Family Dentistry can restore the damage by installing a tooth-colored filling. This beautiful restoration is matched to look exactly like your other natural teeth.
What is a tooth-colored filling?
Made of plastic or glass filler mixed with composite resin, a tooth-colored filling is a durable restoration for small to medium-sized cavities.
A composite filling is advantageous to traditional dental amalgam fillings for the following reasons:
- Less of the tooth structure has to be removed during the installation process.
- Their natural look makes them ideal for teeth that are highly visible, such as the front teeth.
- Tooth-colored fillings are metal free, making them ideal for patients suffering from a metal allergy while also eliminating the risk of mercury exposure from amalgam fillings, whose composition consists of up to 50 percent mercury.
- They expand and contract at the same rate as natural teeth in response to the temperature changes that occur in the mouth whenever you eat and drink. An amalgam filling expands and contracts more rapidly, which can lead to cracks, deterioration or eventual failure of the restoration.
- The filling is bonded directly to the tooth, further diminishing the likelihood that the restoration will fail.
If you have older dental work that you would like replaced, we can install tooth-colored fillings to replace those amalgam fillings or any other fillings that have started to fail or grown discolored over time. You will find that having your old silver fillings replaced will give you a whiter looking smile, one that makes you feel confident. In cases where the tooth has succumbed to extensive damage, the dentist may recommend a larger restoration such as a dental crown to ensure your tooth remains stable and strong.
What can I expect during the installation of a tooth-colored filling?
The installation of a tooth-colored filling can be completed during a single appointment.
After you have received a local anesthetic to guarantee you feel no discomfort during the procedure, your local Knoxville dentist will prepare the tooth by removing the cavity, as well as any tooth structure that has been damaged due to decay. Next, your tooth will be cleaned and prepared with a special adhesive, which is used to bond the filling to your tooth. A composite resin will be placed in your tooth where the cavity and decay resided, and then hardened through the use of a special light. The final step in the process involves polishing and shaping the filling to ensure it looks just like a natural part of your tooth.
Tooth-Colored Fillings in Maryville
Want to learn more about fillings or any of the other restorative treatment options available at Cedar Street Family Dentistry? Just call our Maryville office at (865) 233-7640 to schedule a consultation.
Cedar Street Family Dentistry is proud to serve the oral health needs of clients in the areas of Alcoa, Knoxville, and Maryville, Tennessee.