Maryville, Alcoa and Knoxville TN
At Cedar Street Family Dentistry, we believe it is important to prevent tooth loss whenever possible. In many cases when a tooth has suffered major damage due to injury or tooth decay, we can install a crown to preserve the interior of the tooth as a safeguard against tooth loss.
What is a crown and why is it important?
Also referred to as a “cap,” a crown completely replaces the exterior of a tooth. This prevents loss of the tooth and protects the interior structure by adding strength and durability. Preventing tooth loss also limits your vulnerability to additional tooth loss or the deterioration of the supporting bone structure. Living with a lost tooth or multiple teeth also increases your risk factor of serious oral health issues such as gum disease.
When is a crown needed?
Your local Maryville dentist, Dr. Ben Sentell, at Cedar Street Family Dentistry may recommend a dental crown in the following situations, including:
- Repairing a tooth that is broken or fractured
- Repairing a tooth that has sustained significant damage from tooth decay
- If a tooth has become weak, misshapen, short, or brittle
- Following a root canal procedure
- If a tooth has become damaged due to an existing restoration that has failed
- If a tooth that is discolored has not responded to other whitening treatments
What can I expect during a crown procedure?
- The installation of a crown requires at least two different appointments at our Maryville office. At the first visit, we will administer a local anesthetic, and then remove any decay and area of the tooth that has been damaged due to decay.
- We then take digital impressions of the tooth, which are used to fabricate the permanent crown. These digital impressions produce a more pleasant experience for our patients and more accurate restorations.
- Next, Dr. Sentell will apply a temporary restoration to the tooth.
- At your second appointment, which typically takes place 1-2 weeks later, we will remove the temporary restoration, then place and adjust your permanent crown, which will be matched in shape and color to be virtually indistinguishable from your other natural, healthy teeth.
How should I maintain my crown?
Maintaining your dental crown is easy. Simply brush and floss it along with your other teeth during your oral hygiene routine. Also, it is a good idea to receive your regular dental checkups, as this allows Dr. Sentell an opportunity to inspect the crown and ensure that it remains in good condition. Furthermore, these routine checkups are a chance for us to identify other problem areas in your mouth that may lead to extensive damage.
Dental Crowns in Maryville
If believe that you may need a dental crown, or have more questions about the procedure, then contact Cedar Street Family Dentistry at (865) 233-7640 to schedule your initial consultation. Dr. Sentell aims to preserve your natural teeth whenever possible, but may recommend another course of action that is better suited for your needs.
Cedar Street Family Dentistry is now open and providing the highest level of comprehensive oral care to patients in the areas of Maryville, Alcoa, and Knoxville in East Tennessee.